Monday, August 9, 2010

Let's talk more DIY

In deciding when to make the move down here, I forgot to take into consideration that I don't do nothing well. No, that is not poor grammar. What I mean is that I am not good at sitting around doing nothing. I may appear to do it well, but when I wake up and my first thought is "what's the plan today?" and I realize there isn't one because work doesn't start officially for another two and a half more weeks, I get a little crazy.

The good news about this is that I have actually followed through with some projects to make my apartment pretty/be useful for something. Without further ado....

I present, the USEFUL:
That, friends, is a custom-made earring holder/wall-art

As much as I would love to claim that this genius idea was mine, I actually found it on this blog here. If you don't feel like clicking there to see what I did, basically it's a piece of fabric and batting wrapped around a flat canvas panel and taped to the back. I then used picture hanging wire and put three pieces of that across and wrapped around to the back to hang the earrings on the front. Those little metal tabs on the back of the frame worked perfectly to hold it all in. I picked fabric that went with my bathroom decor since hanging it in the bathroom might actual trigger my brain as I'm getting read in the morning to remember to wear earrings. I LOVE this fabric and am tempted to deck out my entire bedroom in it now....

And before I show you the PRETTY (not that the last thing wasn't pretty, it's just that it also had a purpose besides being pretty), I must show you the inspiration:

These are my dining room chair cushions



And these are the canvases now hanging on my living room wall:

And zoomed in on my favorite:
If you look at the top right of the cushion, you can see a flower like this...
So, that's what I've got for today. My apartment is prettier, except it might drive me crazy that they're not quite hanging straight since these are above my TV so I have to stare at them a lot. Now the big question since you've seen ALL the colors that are now in my living/dining room....

What color curtains do I buy/have my momma make for me? (Also - my couch is brown -- cocoa, so I don't want to go brown with the curtains in order to avoid BLAH overload)

No comments:

Post a Comment